Friday, September 7, 2007

If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something.

It's almost two in the morning. I had one bottled coffee drink that's mostly milk anyway and now I'm all wired. Maybe it's a placebo effect. Maybe I'm just excited because I looked up around seventy-five words in my German dictionary this fine evening. Maybe it's that I'm too excited to sleep because I know how amazing tomorrow will be (and each tomorrow thereafter!). Maybe it's that eightball of coke I did with the security monitor earlier before we all watched V for Vendetta on 8x rewind.


... Nah.


Anyway, I'm in a strange mood. My English class is changing the way I think. Come to think of it, all of my classes are. I know that sounds like such a cliché thing to say about college, but it's such a rapid, dramatic explosion. In my English (lit & media theory) class we're talking about time and space as an endless stream of data, and we're discussing the ways in which we dissect it and how each of those separations are a form of mediation. Time divided into 24s and 60s and yesterdays and next years. 26 letters in the alphabet, ABCDEFG in the musical scale. Time before the invention of the clock. Time before handwriting and history. What is it we're trying to convey from one person to another through literature? What are we trying to immediately access? The body as a medium for the spirit. Culture and ideology as forms of mediation. Our words are overpopulated with other people's intentions. The phonebook as literature. The medium, like the window, is both a conduit and an obstacle (!) and when we read are we looking at or looking through? Technology and spirit as two sides of the same coin, something I was pretty reluctant to admit. I love it!

And the man with the talons playing the cymbalon. And the muttering loons and the poetry on the sidewalk and the moonshadows and young ideas and smiles cutting through fog.

I'm ready to go dream now. Goodnight.

No comments: